Owners of property damaged by wildfire may qualify for tax relief - news.mt.gov

State of Montana NewsRoom

Welcome to the State of Montana NewsRoom


Owners of property damaged by wildfire may qualify for tax relief

Monday, July 24, 2017/Categories: Department of Revenue, Montana.gov/Tags: Property Tax , Property Appraisal , wildfires , fires , disaster , Tax Help , Natural Disaster , Volunteer Firefighters , Fire Protection Requirements


July 24, 2017


Mary Ann Dunwell, Public Information Officer, MT Dept. of Revenue (406) 444-6700

Owners of property damaged by wildfire may qualify for tax relief

Helena - The Montana Department of Revenue reminds Montana property owners whose homes or other property are damaged or destroyed during wildfire or other natural disaster that they can apply for property tax assistance.

"Wildfires can be devastating and we are sorry for Montanans who may lose homes and other property to the wildfires or other natural disasters,” said Shauna Helfert, Property Assessment Division Administrator, Montana Department of Revenue. “This tax assistance can be significant and help provide some relief as property owners recover from damage or destruction.”

A property or land owner whose home, outbuildings or forest land are partially or totally destroyed by the natural disaster, making the property unsuitable for its previous use, may be eligible. Businesses whose equipment is destroyed may also qualify.

The tax relief is prorated based on the number of days the property is unusable. The assistance is available for the current tax year.

To apply, property owners need to complete Form AB-25. Forest land owners should do Form AB-26.

Application forms are available at all Department of Revenue local offices and on the department's website at revenue.mt.gov. You can find the department’s local office contacts, phone numbers and addresses for your area at http://revenue.mt.gov/property-assessment.

For more information, property owners can contact their local Department of Revenue office or the call center at (406) 444-6900, or visit revenue.mt.gov.


Mary Ann Dunwell

Public Information Officer

Montana Department of Revenue


Twitter: @MTRevenue

(406) 444-6700, (406) 461-2648 cell

125 N. Roberts, PO Box 5805, Helena, MT 59604-5805



Number of views (6797)/Comments (0)