Be a Montana Community Summer Food Service Program Sponsor or Site -

State of Montana NewsRoom

Welcome to the State of Montana NewsRoom


Be a Montana Community Summer Food Service Program Sponsor or Site

Friday, February 5, 2021/Categories: Office of Public Instruction/Tags: Elsie Arntzen , Montana Office of Public Instruction

Be a Montana Community Summer Food Service Program Sponsor or Site

Helena, MT – When school is not in session, we have the solution.  The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), made possible by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), provides nutritional meals to children and teens throughout the summer months for the benefit of maintaining healthy living and promoting healthy food choices.  The way it’s done is to identify the SFSP site locations in communities, all of which are locally sponsored.  And, to ensure that communities have active Summer Food Service Programs, the Montana Office of Public Instruction (OPI) is accepting applications for the 2021 summer from public and private nonprofit schools, local government agencies, and private nonprofit organizations interested in sponsoring the Summer Food Service Program in support of their communities.    

How can you help your community?

  1. Become an SFSP site.  Reach out to existing Summer Food Service Program sponsors to add open sites at schools, community centers, parks, pools, or other eligible locations kids gather in the summer months. Check out the USDA Capacity Builder Map to find where sponsors and sites operated in 2020.
  2. Become an SFSP sponsor.  Eligible sponsors include public and private nonprofit schools, local government agencies, and private nonprofit organizations.  Program sponsors operate sites at eligible locations in their community during the summer months.  Sponsors of the SFSP handle the financial, administrative, and food service responsibilities of SFSP sites. Sponsors are reimbursed at a set rate for meals served to eligible children.  For more information follow this link to the USDA website for information on becoming a sponsor
  3. Help publicize local SFSP sites.  Here are some tools for advertising 2021 Montana SFSP sites:
  • Advertise in the SFSP at your neighborhood, workplace, school, community center, daycare, or wherever you see fit.  Visit our website for flyers.
  • Spread the word and use the SFSP text line.  Starting in late May, anyone can text summer meals to 97779 to learn the locations of your nearest SFSP site.
  • Visit the SFSP Map. This map is updated in late spring/early summer when sites begin operating for the year.   

Learn more about the Montana Office of Public Instruction School Nutrition Programs and the USDA’s Summer Food Service Program by visiting the Montana OPI School Nutrition Programs website or start the application to sponsor a Summer Food Service Program site by calling (406) 444-0772. 

The deadline for new sponsors to apply for the SFSP is May 1, 2021. 
Existing sponsors can add sites at any point throughout the summer.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.

To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail:             U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax:               (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Contact:  Dr. Greg Dern, (406) 444-3449,  


Number of views (418)/Comments (0)