The Water Policy Interim Committee will review draft legislation at its July 11-12 meeting, including bills to:
- Clarify 15 percent threshold for water commissioner appointments
- Require training for water commissioners
- Clarify the definition of a water right change
- Allow applicants for water right permits or water right change authorizations to limit analysis of adverse effects for certain water rights
- Allow Water Court jurisdiction of appeals to DNRC decisions
- Define "combined appropriation for ground water wells that are exempt from permitting.
At the July meeting, the committee will decide which bills to forward for public comment. Also on the agenda:
- A staff program review of the Public Water and Subdivisions Bureau (DEQ)
- Draft committee reports on the assumption of federal Section 404 permitting (SJ2) and the future of the Water Court
- A draft summary of the committee's work on issues related to water availability and supply
The committee's meeting begins at 9 a.m. July 11 in room 172 of the Capitol building. For more information on the committee's agenda and other activities, visit the committee's website or contact Jason Mohr, committee staff.
Committee website: www.leg.mt.gov/water
Committee staff: email@example.com or 406-444-1640