Summer Food Service Sponsorships Available -

State of Montana NewsRoom

Montana Government News


Summer Food Service Sponsorships Available

Tuesday, January 29, 2019/Categories: Office of Public Instruction/Tags: USDA , Office of Public Instruction , OPI , School Nutrition , School Food , summer food service

January 30, 2019

Contact: Christine Emerson, 406-444-2502,

Helena— The Montana Office of Public Instruction is accepting applications for the 2019 Summer Food Service Program from public and private nonprofit schools as well as local government agencies and private nonprofit organizations that are interested in sponsoring a Summer Food Service Program. The USDA’s Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) helps combat summer learning loss by providing free meals to kids and teens, age 18 and under, during the summer months when school is out. They have access to healthy meals, social engagement, learning, and supervision in a safe environment.

How can you help your community?

  1. Become a SFSP site.  Reach out to existing Summer Food Service Program sponsors to add open sites at schools, community centers, parks, pools, or other eligible locations kids gather in the summer months. Check out the USDA Capacity Builder Map to find where sponsors and sites operated in 2018.
  2. Become a SFSP sponsor.  Eligible sponsors include public and private nonprofit schools, local government agencies, and private nonprofit organizations.  Program sponsors operate sites at eligible locations in their community during the summer months.  Sponsors of the SFSP handle the financial, administrative and food service responsibilities of SFSP sites. Sponsors are reimbursed at a set rate for meals served to eligible children.
  3. Help publicize local SFSP sites.  Here are some tools for advertising 2019 Montana SFSP sites:
  • Advertise in the SFSP at your neighborhood, workplace, school, community center, daycare, or wherever you see fit.  Visit our website for flyers.
  • Spread the word and use the SFSP test line.  Starting in late May, anyone can text summer meals to 97779 to learn the locations of your nearest SFSP site.
  • Visit the SFSP Map. This map is updated in late spring/early summer when sites begin operating for the year.   

Last year, Montana schools served over 19 million meals to students through the National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs. In comparison, the SFSP served 700,730 meals to kids last summer. Summer should be a time for fun and relaxation, however, some kids lack access to the resources they need to grow and thrive during the summer that they rely on during the school year.  Help us balance the scales and ensure all kids have access to materials for success year round.  You can learn more about the Summer Food Service Program by visiting the Montana OPI School Nutrition Programs website or start the application to sponsor a Summer Food Service Program site by calling 406-444-2501. 

The deadline for new sponsors to apply for the SFSP is May 1, 2019. 
Existing sponsors can add sites at any point throughout the summer.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.

To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail:           U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax:             (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.


Number of views (1288)/Comments (0)

Please login or register to post comments.