The Water Policy Interim Committee (WPIC) seeks public comment on two committee reports and five bill drafts. The reports are:
- A Right to Stream Conditions as They Existed: A Study of the Process for Changing a Water Right
- The Exemption at 45: A Study of Groundwater Wells Exempt from Permitting
The bill drafts are:
- Define a “supplemental notice” within the Montana Administrative Procedure Act (LCw001)
- Revise certain water right adjudication processes (LCw002)
- Extend the deadline to correct an application for a permit or a change of water right (LCw003)
- Clarify the criteria for a water right permit relying on a waiver of adverse effect (LCw005)
- Study Montana’s stream gauge network (LCw006)
The reports are available for review on the WPIC’s website, http://www.leg.mt.gov/water. Comments may be sent to WPIC at P.O. Box 201704, Helena, MT 59620-1704 or emailed to email@example.com with the subject line, “Public comments for WPIC reports/bills.”
All comments received by 5 p.m. on August 30 will be compiled and reviewed by the WPIC prior to its Sept. 10-11 meeting in Helena. Comments received after the deadline will be provided to the WPIC at the meeting. Comments are welcome in person at the meeting as well. An agenda and other meeting materials for the August meeting will be made available on the WPIC’s web site approximately two weeks prior to the meeting.
WPIC is led by Sen. Pat Connell (R-Hamilton), presiding officer, and Rep. Zach Brown (D-Bozeman), vice presiding officer. Other members are Sens. Jill Cohenour (D-East Helena), Jon Sesso (D-Butte), and Jeffrey Welborn (R-Dillon); and Reps. Bob Brown (R-Thompson Falls), John Fleming (D-St. Ignatius), and Carl Glimm (R-Kila).
For more information, contact Jason Mohr, WPIC staff, at 406-444-1640 or firstname.lastname@example.org.