Owners of property damaged by wildfire may qualify for tax relief - news.mt.gov

State of Montana NewsRoom

Montana Government News


Owners of property damaged by wildfire may qualify for tax relief

Monday, August 1, 2016/Categories: Department of Revenue/Tags: Property Tax , disaster , Natural Disaster


August 1, 2016



Mary Ann Dunwell, Public Information Officer, (406) 444-6700, MDunwell@mt.gov

Molly Petersen, Public Information Specialist, (406) 444-4331, MollyPetersen@mt.gov


Owners of property damaged by wildfire may qualify for tax relief


Helena - The Montana Department of Revenue reminds Montana property owners whose homes or other property are damaged or destroyed during wildfire that they can apply for property tax relief.


"Wildfires and other natural disasters can be devastating and we are sorry for Montanans who may lose homes and other property to natural disaster,” said Revenue Director Mike Kadas. “This tax assistance can be significant and help provide some relief as property owners recover from destruction.”


A property or land owner whose home, outbuildings or forest land are partially or totally destroyed by the natural disaster, making the property unsuitable for its previous use, may be eligible for property tax relief. Businesses whose equipment is destroyed may also qualify.


The tax relief is prorated based on the number of days in the tax year that the property is unusable. The relief is available for the current tax year. The department asks property owners to complete a natural disaster application to apply for the property tax relief. Property owners need to complete Form AB-25. Forest land owners should do Form AB-26.


Application forms are available at all Department of Revenue local offices and on the department's website at revenue.mt.gov. You can find the department’s local office contacts, phone numbers and addresses for your area at http://revenue.mt.gov/property-assessment.


For more information, contact your local Department of Revenue office. You can also phone the call center toll free at (866) 859-2254, or visit the department's website at revenue.mt.gov.




Mary Ann Dunwell

Public Information Officer

Montana Department of Revenue


Twitter: @MTRevenue

(406) 444-6700, (406) 461-2648 cell

125 N. Roberts, PO Box 5805, Helena, MT 59604-5805


Number of views (5880)/Comments (0)

Please login or register to post comments.