Owners of property damaged by tornado, natural disaster may qualify for tax relief - news.mt.gov

State of Montana NewsRoom

Montana Government News


Owners of property damaged by tornado, natural disaster may qualify for tax relief

Monday, June 13, 2016/Categories: Department of Revenue/Tags: Property Tax , Property Appraisal , housing , Natural Disaster


June 13, 2016


Mary Ann Dunwell, Public Information Officer, (406) 444-6700, MDunwell@mt.gov

Molly Petersen, Public Information Specialist, (406) 444-4331, MollyPetersen@mt.gov

Owners of property damaged by tornado, natural disaster may qualify for tax relief

The Montana Department of Revenue encourages Montana property owners whose homes or other property were damaged or destroyed during Saturday’s Fallon County tornado to apply for property tax relief.

A property owner whose home or outbuildings were partially or totally destroyed by the tornado, making the property unsuitable for its previous use, may be eligible for property tax relief. Businesses whose equipment was destroyed may also qualify.

The tax relief is prorated based on the number of days in the tax year that the property is unusable. The relief is available for the current tax year. The department asks property owners to complete Form AB-25 Natural Disaster Application to apply for the property tax relief. They’ll need to complete the application by December 31, 2016.

Form AB-25 is available at all Department of Revenue local offices and on the department's website at revenue.mt.gov/propertytax-relief. The Fallon County office contacts and phone numbers in Baker are LaRita Huether at 778-7172 and Lisa Rieger at 778-7156.  The office is located at the courthouse, 10 West Fallon.

"Tornadoes can be devastating and we are sorry for Montanans who may lose homes and other property to tornadoes or any natural disaster,” said Revenue Director Mike Kadas. “This tax relief can be significant and help provide some relief as property owners recover from destruction.”

The state’s natural disaster property tax relief also covers properties damaged by flood or wildfire.

Montana property owners who experience a natural disaster-related loss of a dwelling also may be eligible for an income tax deduction. In addition, the department can issue replacement copies of property records, past-year income tax returns, or other revenue-related information that is lost in a tornado.

For more information, contact your local Department of Revenue office. You can also phone the call center toll free at (866) 859-2254, or visit the department's website at revenue.mt.gov.


Mary Ann Dunwell
Public Information Officer
Montana Department of Revenue
Twitter: @MTRevenue

(406) 444-6700, (406) 461-2648 cell

125 N. Roberts, PO Box 5805, Helena, MT 59604-5805



Number of views (8489)/Comments (0)

Please login or register to post comments.