Exempt ground water wells will be on the agenda Wednesday, as the Water Policy Interim Committee meets for the final time during the 2016-17 interim.
The committee will consider LCwp7, "Modify permit exemptions for certain ground water appropriations," on Wednesday afternoon. The committee will also weigh six other pieces of draft legislation at the meeting, which begins at 10 a.m. in room 172 of the Capitol building.
If approved, the bills would be considered by the 2017 Legislature. The bills are:
- Limit adverse effects analysis.
- Establish Surface Water Assessment and Monitoring Program.
- Allow Water Court review of certain Department of Natural Resources and Conservation decisions.
- Authorize Department of Environmental Quality assumption of dredge and fill permitting.
- Modify duties and organization of river basin councils (2).
The WPIC will also discuss the recent Montana Supreme Court ruling related to exempt wells. Already, the committee has approved five bill drafts for the 2017 session.
Public comments on the bill drafts may be sent to committee staff, which will be relayed to the committee. For the bill drafts and more information on the committee’s activities and upcoming meeting, visit the committee’s website or contact Jason Mohr, committee staff.
Committee Website: www.leg.mt.gov/water
Committee Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org or 406-444-1640