FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 21, 2016
Mary Ann Dunwell, Public Information Officer, MT Dept. of Revenue
(406) 444-6700, firstname.lastname@example.org
Molly Petersen, Public Information Specialist, MT Dept. of Revenue
(406) 444-4331, email@example.com
Montana Department of Revenue to hold liquor license lottery
Helena – The Montana Department of Revenue will hold a public lottery for 14 available liquor licenses after receiving more than 1,000 applications to operate alcohol establishments in nine communities throughout the state.
The lottery will be held at 10 a.m., Wednesday, September 28, 2016, at the Revenue Department’s liquor warehouse, located at 2517 Airport Road, Helena. The lottery is open to the public to attend.
“This will be one of largest lotteries in my memory because of the number of available licenses and sheer volume of applicants,” said Shauna Helfert, Liquor Control Division Administrator. “I’m sure it will take us a while to spin the bin.”
The department received the following applications for available alcohol licenses:
- Anaconda last available city beer – 3 applicants
- Billings restaurant beer & wine – about 30
- Billings city beer – about 150
- Bozeman/Belgrade city beer – about 300
- Bozeman/Belgrade restaurant beer & wine – about 120
- Bozeman/Belgrade (two) all beverage floaters – about 200
- Columbus city beer – about 10
- Darby city beer – 2
- Dillon city beer – 2
- Fergus County last available all beverage – 1
- Kalispell city beer – about 95
- Missoula city beer – about 95
- Missoula restaurant beer & wine – about 20
The department did not receive applications for the available Liberty County new all beverage, Ekalaka all beverage floater, and two Columbus all beverage floater licenses. These four remain available for application.
The department published notices of the available licenses and requests for applications in August to seek applicants. Once the lottery drawing is complete, the department will notify the successful applicants, post the results on our website at revenue.mt.gov, and send results via Twitter at www.twitter.com/MTRevenue.
“Winning a liquor license through our lottery can be good news for businesses and Main Streets,” says Helfert.
For more information about the various alcohol license types and requirements, please visit www.revenue.mt.gov and click on liquor control, or follow us at www.twitter.com/MTRevenue. You can also contact our call center toll free at 1-866-859-2254, in Helena 444-6900.
Mary Ann Dunwell
Public Information Officer
Montana Department of Revenue
(406) 444-6700406-461-2648, (406) 461-2648 cell
125 N. Roberts, PO Box 5805, Helena, MT 59604-5805