Helena, Mont. – Director John Lewis today announced the departure of State Chief Information Officer (CIO) Ron Baldwin. Baldwin was appointed by the Governor to serve as CIO in January of 2013.
After more than five years on the job, Baldwin is leaving for a role outside of State Government.
Under Governor Bullock and Baldwin’s leadership, Information Technology across the State of Montana has transformed. With the creation of the State’s transparency portal, data portal and the business Navigator portal, citizens can now access the power of data in government.
Ron’s successes in promoting collaboration with state agencies, cities and counties, higher education programs, and other statewide municipalities benefited us all. His commitment to ensuring government was accessible to folks across the Montana deserves recognition and he will be missed,” said Governor Bullock.
“Ron is a true public servant. The impacts Ron had on moving the State of Montana to the forefront as a leader in technology will be felt for years to come,” said Department of Administration Director John Lewis.
“It was my honor to serve Governor Bullock, Director Lewis and the State of Montana during this time of great opportunity,” said Baldwin. “Our vision is to be the enabling force that promotes citizen well-being and communities that thrive.”
Baldwin focused on implementing IT in an innovative, effective, and cost-efficient manner during his tenure. Under his direction, Montana has realized innovation, cost savings and achievements including:
- Saved the state over $1.6 million dollars annually as a result of Governor Bullock’s executive order for IT convergence.
- Increased the data analytics and business intelligence capabilities of the Montana Data Portal, data.mt.gov.
- Implemented multi-factor authentication to further secure access to the state’s mission critical systems and data.
- Established a cost-effective secure private cloud environment for State government that provides self-service, on-demand infrastructure.
- Implemented data loss prevention technology to add an additional layer of security for sensitive information maintained by the state.
- Initiated a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) initiative where all phones in the state will be integrated with advanced unified communications abilities.
- Completed a migration to an enterprise content management system.
- Chaired the Montana Information Security Advisory Council (MT-ISAC) based on an Executive Order by Governor Bullock, dedicated to community outreach in cybersecurity.
- Implemented mobile device management to secure the state’s mobile workforce.
- Served as Director of the NASCIO Executive Committee, a national level leadership group from 2015-2017.
“Moving forward, I am confident information technology at the State of Montana will continue to serve citizens in the secure, efficient and effective manner they expect,” said Baldwin.